Tuesday, August 6, 2013 —
RALEIGH – Powerball players in North Carolina now have the chance in the Wednesday drawing to try for a jackpot estimated at $425 million, the third largest in the game’s history.
Powerball officials issued the new estimate Tuesday, increasing the size of the jackpot based on strong ticket sales for the drawing. If taken as an annuity, the jackpot would be an estimated $425 million and if taken as a lump sum it would be $244.7 million.
“This would truly be a life-changing event for someone to win this jackpot,” said Alice Garland, executive director of the N.C. Education Lottery.
“I certainly hope the winner is a North Carolinian. We’ve seen three Powerball jackpot winners so far in our state. Powerball sales will definitely help us raise money for education, but it only takes one ticket to win so we hope our players will play responsibly.”
From the beginning of the Powerball jackpot’s roll on June 26 through Tuesday, Aug. 6, North Carolina Powerball sales have totaled more than $19.4 million. An estimated $7.3 million from those sales will go to education in North Carolina.
During those 12 drawings, more than $3 million was paid out in prizes, including a $1 million prize paid to Rickey Earnhardt of Charlotte who matched all five white balls in the July 27 drawing. Additionally, seven $10,000 prizes and three $40,000 prizes have been won during the current jackpot roll.
Garland also asked players to check their numbers closely if they buy tickets for the drawing. She said the Powerball game offers a variety of significant prizes in addition to the jackpot. The Saturday, Aug. 3 drawing produced 49,404 winning tickets in the state. Prizes ranged from $4 to $40,000 and totaled $405,846.
North Carolina Powerball Facts
· Powerball drawings are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. EST. On the nights that drawings are held, Powerball ticket sales stop in North Carolina at 9:59 p.m.
· Powerball is played in 43 states, Washington D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
· From the beginning of the Powerball jackpot’s roll on June 26 through Tuesday, Aug. 6, North Carolina Powerball sales have totaled more than $19.4 million. During those 12 drawings, more than $3 million was paid out in prizes, including a $1 million prize, seven $10,000 prizes and three $40,000 prizes. An estimated $7.3 million from those sales will go to education in North Carolina.
· The odds of winning a Powerball jackpot are 1 in 175 million.
· The three Powerball jackpot winners from North Carolina were: Jackie Alston of Halifax who won $74.5 million in November 2006; Jeff Wilson of Kings Mountain who won $88.1 million in June 2009; and Frank Griffin of Asheville who won $141.4 million in February 2010.
Largest Powerball jackpots claimed
1. $590.5 million, May 18, 2013. Gloria MacKenzie of Zephyrhills, Florida.
2. $587.5 million, Nov. 28, 2012. Mark and Cindy Hill of Missouri and Matthew Good of Arizona.
3. $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006. ConAgra Food co-workers, Nebraska
4. $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005. Steve and Carolyn West of Oregon and Bob and Francis Cheney of Oregon.
5. $338.3 million, Mar. 23, 2013. Pedro Quezada of New Jersey.