Tuesday, March 12, 2013 —
In high school tennis matches March 7, Gray Stone swept at South Stanly, while the Bulldogs won at North Moore.
Gray Stone 9
South Stanly 0
1. John Latimer (GS) d. Alec Shue (SS) 6-0, 6-0.
2. Alex Wang (GS) d. Hunter Gray (SS) 6-3, 6-4.
3. Sam HillJennings (GS) d. Aaron Roten (SS) 6-0, 6-2.
4. Will Huckabee (GS) d. Joston Horton (SS) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1).
5. Cal Garmon (GS) d. Jesse Barrett (SS) 6-0, 6-0.
6. Jeff Lau (GS) d. Will Kepley (SS) 6-4, 6-2.
1. Latimer / HillJennings (GS) d. Shue / Roten (SS) 8-0.
2. Wang / Huckabee (GS) d. Gray / Horton (SS) 8-2.
3. C. Distin / W. Latimer (GS) d. M. Carlis / B. Hahn (SS) 8-0.
North Moore 1
1) Joel Morton (A) d. J. Jones (NM) 6-0, 6-0.
2) Bradley Batten (A) d. A. Hunsucker (NM) 6-0, 6-0.
3) Dayton Guenther (A) d. M. Williams (NM) 6-2, 6-2.
4) Grayson Dixon (A) d. J. Marley (NM) 6-2, 7-5.
5) D. Aguirre (NM) d. Truman Furr (A) 6-4, 6-2.
6) Joey Bogan (A) d. A. Gonzalez (NM) 6-3, 6-1.
1) Morton / Batten (A) d. Jones / Williams (NM) 8-0.
2) Guenther / Dixon (A) d. Hunsucker / Marley (NM) 5-1.
3) Furr / Bogan (A) d. Gonzalez/Edmunds (NM) 8-2.
Gray Stone stays undefeated with win over South Stanly; Albemarle wins at North Moore
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 —
5 memorable college hoops tourney buzzer beaters
It's March, which means the NCAA Tournament is just around the corner. But before March Madness takes hold, the conference tournaments, which get under way this week, often provide their own share of exciting finishes. Here are five memorable buzzer beaters from conference tournament play.
Albemarle basketball to face Winston-Salem Prep on Wednesday
Albemarle will travel to UNC-Greensboro’s Fleming Gym 8:30 p.m. Wednesday to take on two-time defending state champion Winston-Salem Prep Phoenix in the fourth round of the 1A state playoffs.
West Stanly softball opens season with wins
The West Stanly softball team opened the defense of their 2A state championship this week with non-conference games against Weddington and South Stanly.
Albemarle Bulldogs win 2014 1A Midwest Sectional title
The last time that the Albemarle boys’ varsity basketball squad last claimed a sectional title and a berth in the regional round of the state playoffs six years ago.
Albemarle splits home playoff games on Wednesday
The Albemarle varsity basketball teams, both possessing a number-one seed in their respective Midwest Sectional brackets, hosted second-round playoff matchups on Wednesday.
Six Stanly grapplers compete at state championships
The NCHSAA state wrestling tournament was held this past week and weekend at the Greensboro Coliseum. Six Stanly County wrestlers qualified for the tournament.
North Stanly girls lose at Bishop McGuinness
The North Stanly girls’ basketball team wrapped up their 2013-14 season with a loss Wednesday at Bishop McGuinness in the second round of the state 1A playoffs.
Will instant replay settle baseball's furies?
Baseball is slow to move away from tradition, and its long-awaited instant replay could eliminate some of the game's most exciting spectacles - on-field showdowns between managers and umpires.
NFL is right to ban N-word, other slurs, from the playing field
NFL players must adhere to all types of rules regarding on-field safety. It's time for them to work under one addressing the use of inappropriate language in the workplace.
North Stanly hosts playoff basketball games
The varsity basketball teams of North Stanly hosted their first state 1A basketball playoff games in the school’s history on Monday night.
The No. 5 ranked Comet girls hosted fellow Yadkin Valley Conference foe Union Academy while North’s boys’ squad, also a No. 5 seed, faced No. 12 Mount Airy.
- More Sports Headlines
- 5 memorable college hoops tourney buzzer beaters