The Stanly News and Press (Albemarle, NC)

March 25, 2013

Stanly County Sports Hall of Fame to induct Ingram, Young


SNAP

Monday, March 25, 2013 —

One has been an athletic leader at Pfeiffer University for nearly 40 years. The other assisted the development of amateur athletics in the South Stanly area more than any other person. The 2013 inductees into the Stanly County Sports Hall of Fame are Jack Ingram and the late Kermit L. Young.

 

These two men will be recognized at the Stanly Chamber of Commerce’s annual Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony at 6 p.m. on Monday, April 29 at the Stanly Regional Medical Family and Education Center. After the two inductions and the special guest speaker’s message, persons attending the ceremony will be treated to a heavy hors d’oeuvres reception.

 

Jack Ingram

 

Jack Ingram is a native of Stanly County and attended North Stanly High School from 1966 to 1970, where he was a star basketball player for the Comets. Ingram then enrolled at Pfeiffer College where he played basketball and earned a BA degree in Business Administration and Economics in 1974. Almost immediately, Ingram began his career as a coach and administrative leader for Pfeiffer athletic programs.

 

From 1974 to 1976, Jack Ingram served as Assistant Basketball Coach for the Pfeiffer College men’s basketball team. From 1975 to 1976, he also served as Head Coach for the Pfeiffer men’s junior varsity basketball team.

 

From 1977 to 1982, Ingram was the Head Coach of the Pfeiffer women’s basketball team, compiling a record of 72-53. His record included an undefeated conference championship in 1978 and advancement to the national tournament in 1979 with a no.13 national ranking. He was the conference Coach of the Year in 1978, and was runner-up for National Coach of the Year in 1979. The ladies on his basketball teams had an outstanding 93 percent graduation rate.

 

From 1977 to 1992 and again in 1996, Ingram served as Head Coach of the Pfeiffer women’s softball team, compiling a record of 365-170. As head softball coach, his teams won four regular season conference championships, four conference tournament championships, a district championship in 1982, and state championships in 1979 and 1980. For 14 consecutive years, his teams finished first or second in the conference and advanced to the state playoffs. Ingram was selected conference softball Coach of the Year in 1970, 1981 and 1989, and was District Coach of the Year in 1982. With all this success, his softball players also had an incredible 96 percent graduation rate.

 

In 1980, Ingram earned his masters degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Since 1978, he has served as an Assistant Professor in the Pfeiffer University’s Sports Management program and is currently the Department Head for that program. In the early 1990s, Ingram served as Pfeiffer’s Athletic Director, and is currently serving as Acting Interim Athletic Director.

 

Other honors Jack Ingram has earned while at Pfeiffer include: serving as District Chairman for the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics from 1992 to 1995; earning the Award of Merit from NAIA in 1995; and serving as Pfeiffer’s Faculty Athletic Representative to the NCAA. In 1995, Jack Ingram was inducted into the Pfeiffer University Sports Hall of Fame. In 2000, the Pfeiffer softball field was renamed Jack Ingram Field. And in 2009, Ingram received the Outstanding Pfeiffer Alumnus Award.

 

While carrying out his many academic and athletic duties at Pfeiffer, Jack Ingram has also found the time to help as the Assistant Coach for the North Stanly girl’s basketball team for the past eleven years.

 

Kermit Young

 

Kermit Young moved to Stanly County in 1932 to serve as the manager of Belk’s Department Store in Albemarle, and lived in this county until his death in 1971. In 1939, Young moved to Norwood and started the Young Manufacturing Company. At this time, he also began an involvement with area amateur athletics that would continue for the rest of his life.

 

Since his days as manager at Belk, Young had organized and played for business sponsored basketball and baseball teams that traveled and played other area teams. Then, when Albemarle hosted the national American Legion Championship in 1940, Young and several of his workers volunteered their time to help prepare the Efird Ballpark for this major event.

 

Following World War II, Young helped organize a league of industrial baseball teams from Stanly and other surrounding counties. He played first base for the Young Manufacturing team, and was soon asked to serve as league president. It was also during these post-war years that Young Manufacturing donated the materials and constructed the concrete bleachers at the Norwood High School baseball field.

 

Recognizing his enthusiasm for sports and his organizational skills, Kermit Young was often asked to form new leagues, especially for youth athletic programs. His enthusiasm was contagious, and soon many others followed his example and began volunteering their time and talents as coaches, umpires and financial supporters.

 

In 1951, Young pulled the Norwood community together and organized a youth baseball program for boys ages 13 and under. Three teams participated in this first program and at the end of the season an all-star team was selected to participate in a state tournament at the Durham Bulls’ Stadium in Durham. The following season, Young led the effort for Norwood to join the official national Little League program. He and a few other community leaders led a fundraising effort and constructed a regulation Little League ballpark in Norwood. In 1953, Norwood hosted the area Little League tournament. The Norwood Little League all-star teams enjoyed great success in tournaments over the next several years, and Young served as league president for most of these years. During this time, Young often came straight from work in his white shirt and tie to drag the local Little League ball field on his company’s Ford tractor.

 

In the 1950s, the Stanly County school system did not fund football programs at the individual high schools. The Albemarle City Schools had a special city school tax that enabled Albemarle High and Kingville High to support football programs. Funding from ALCOA allowed football to be played at Badin High School and West Badin High School. But none of the other county schools had a football program. Through the organized fund raising efforts of Kermit Young, the town of Norwood raised enough money to build its own football stadium at the high school, and to furnish a team with football uniforms and equipment. Young called upon his friend, Bear Knotts in Albemarle, and a few volunteers recruited by Knotts to assist newly hired football coach, Hugh Giles, and high school football was begun in Norwood.

 

When the three consolidated county high schools opened in 1962, each school had to assume the responsibility for organizing and funding its own football program and stadium. The South Stanly area, of course, had a big head start in this undertaking. With Kermit Young once again leading the way, the South Stanly community built not only a football stadium, but the nicest football stadium in the county at that time, complete with its own track for springtime track meets.

 

During the 1960s, Kermit Young joined forces with well-known golfer Robert Isenhour to organize and raise funds for building a golf course in the Norwood area. Through many hours of work and with the assistance of loans and grants, their dream became a reality as construction on the Piney Point Golf Course began in the fall of 1963. Within two years Piney Point was a fully functional golf club, complete with a swimming pool and tennis courts.

 

When Kermit Young passed away in 1971, the South Stanly Sports Council petitioned the Stanly County School Board to name the high school stadium after him. The school board approved this request and on September 29, 1972, the South Stanly football field was officially named K.L. Young Stadium.

 

The price of tickets for this year’s Sports Hall of Fame ceremony and reception is $35. To purchase tickets or for more information, please call the Chamber at (704) 982-8116 or email to deidra@stanlychamber.org.