The Stanly News and Press (Albemarle, NC)

Breaking News

Homepage

February 6, 2014

Brush fire engulfs house

Thursday, February 6, 2014 — An unattended brush pile burn spread and then engulfed a Stanfield house Saturday afternoon.

A 911 call at 12:41 p.m. sent firefighters from the West Stanly Fire Department racing to 6898 Strawberry Lane.

“Upon our arrival the fire was coming through the roof,” Fire Chief Tripp Crosby said.

The homeowner had been burning brush on the property before he left the house. Once the owner returned he discovered the fire had spread to a wooden deck, then into the house, Crosby said.

The blaze destroyed the house. Relatives are assisting the family, Crosby said.

The fire has been ruled as accidental, with wind contributing to the blaze, Crosby said.

In the wake of the fire, Stanly County Fire Marshal Michael Roark issued a warning about outside burning.

“Anytime you burn brush or any kind of burning you should not leave it unattended unless you absolutely know it has been extinguished,” Roark said.

To submit story ideas, contact Ritchie Starnes at (704) 982-2121 ext. 28 or email ritchie@stanlynewspress.com.

1
Text Only
Homepage
Local News
Local Sports
Regional & National Sports
Opinion & Letters to the Editor
Weddings and Engagements
  • Poplin-Mooney Engagement Poplin-Mooney Engagement

    Mr. and Mrs. Louis Poplin of Norwood, N.C. announce the engagement of their daughter, Amanda Lauren Poplin, to Evan Clay Mooney, son of Mr. Clay Mooney of Asheville, N.C. and the late Mrs. Elaine Mooney.

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • Austin-Lisk Wedding
Features
Regional
State & National News
wd saturday tobias .jpg

David Tobias of Kingsvlle Township, a Vietnam War veteran, had his bill paid by a stranger during a trip to OfficeMax.

Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter