The Stanly News and Press (Albemarle, NC)

February 6, 2014

Brush fire engulfs house

By Ritchie Starnes, News Editor
CNHI

Thursday, February 6, 2014 — An unattended brush pile burn spread and then engulfed a Stanfield house Saturday afternoon.

A 911 call at 12:41 p.m. sent firefighters from the West Stanly Fire Department racing to 6898 Strawberry Lane.

“Upon our arrival the fire was coming through the roof,” Fire Chief Tripp Crosby said.

The homeowner had been burning brush on the property before he left the house. Once the owner returned he discovered the fire had spread to a wooden deck, then into the house, Crosby said.

The blaze destroyed the house. Relatives are assisting the family, Crosby said.

The fire has been ruled as accidental, with wind contributing to the blaze, Crosby said.

In the wake of the fire, Stanly County Fire Marshal Michael Roark issued a warning about outside burning.

“Anytime you burn brush or any kind of burning you should not leave it unattended unless you absolutely know it has been extinguished,” Roark said.



To submit story ideas, contact Ritchie Starnes at (704) 982-2121 ext. 28 or email ritchie@stanlynewspress.com.