Wednesday, November 6, 2013 — Even after the results of yesterday's election came in, the leaders in two mayoral races could not be named.
In both New London and Oakboro the largest number votes for mayor fell into the “write-in” category. In Oakboro write-in candidate(s) accounted for 77.24 percent of the vote, in New London, 42.86 percent.
This is no guarantee that a write-in candidate has won either of these races.
As one New London resident said at the board of elections last night, citizens in their town were considering more than one write-in candidate and so write-in votes for the town may be spread over more than one person.
Moreover, none of the election results will be official until provisional votes are accounted for. Final numbers and the names of the write-in candidates will be released over the course of the next few days.
Behind the write-in category, Johnny W. Chesnut Jr leads New London’s mayoral race and Allan McGuire leads the Oakboro mayoral race.
In the race with the largest voter turnout, Ronnie Michael narrowly beat out Chris Bramlett for mayor of Albemarle. Not counting provisional votes, Michael led Bramlett by only 209 votes, less than ten percent of those who voted in the race.
“It was a great race,” Michael told Bramlett as the final precinct’s results came
“I hope he continues to share his ideas with the council,” Michael commented afterwards.
The other candidates at the top of the standings are as follows:
- Martha E. Hughes for the Albemarle council at-large seat.
- Benton H. Dry II for the Albemarle council district two seat.
- Chris Whitley for the Albemarle council district four seat.
- Larry Milano at large for Badin.
- Anne Kelley Harwood for the Badin council east district seat.
- Deloris “Dee” Chambers for the Badin council west district seat.
- Steve Huber for mayor of Locust.
- Micah Edquist, Peter D. Edquist and Michael “Frizbee” Herron for three Misenheimer council seats.
- Marcus L. Mullis and Christy Starnes for two New London council seats.
- Beverly Johnson for mayor of Norwood.
- Steve Bradley and Linda Campbell for two Norwood council seats.
- Larry McMahon for the Norwood council unexpired term seat.
- Ernest Lee Broadway, Mike Efird and Georgia Osborne-Harvey for three Oakboro council seats.
- Richard M. “Dicky” Hatley for the Red Cross council seat.
- Floyd S. Wilson for the Richfield mayor.
- Mary Ann Fisher and Scottie Heglar for two Richfield council seats.
- Kevin Barbee for mayor of Stanfield.
- James Davis Griffin and Greg Lucas for two Stanfield council seats.
All posted results are unofficial. For more information see Thursday’s edition of the SNAP.
To submit story ideas, contact Shannon Beamon at (704) 982-2121 ext. 24 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.