By Tiffany Thompson, Staff Writer
Friday, July 26, 2013 —
With two more candidates adding their names to the race for Richfield Town Council, the filing period for the municipal election has officially closed.
Mary Ann Fisher and Carl A. Huneycutt filed for the Richfield Town Council this week after the filing period was extended because of a low turnout in that race.
The candidates list was finalized Wednesday during the Stanly County Board of Elections meeting, according to Kim Wilson, elections director.
“The candidate list (was) tentative until the board could verify the information regarding where they filed,” Wilson said.
According to the official lists, a Democratic primary will be conducted in the city of Albemarle for the mayoral race, as well as for the Albemarle Council at-large and District 2 seats. There will be a Republican primary also for the mayoral race.
Appearing on the Democratic ballot will be:
• Ronnie Michael and David Morgan for mayor
• Judy U. Holcomb, Roosevelt “Chuck” Horne and George “Eddy” McDaniel for an at-large council seat
• Benton H. Dry II, John R. “Jack” Bell and Joe Canupp for the District 2 council seat
On the Republican ballot will be Joe Speight and Chris Bramlett for the mayoral race.
The Primary Election is scheduled for Sept. 10. If needed a second primary election will take place Oct. 8.
Registration to vote in the primary ends on Aug. 16 and One-Stop early voting will begin Aug. 22 and end Sept. 7. Absentee ballots will be mailed Aug. 11 and need to be returned by Sept. 9.
The municipal General Election will be Nov. 5. Appearing on that ballot will not only be the winners from the primary election, but also:
• Martha E. Hughes (Rep.) for Albemarle Council at-large
• Ed Underwood (Rep.) for Albemarle Council District 2
• Jack F. Neel (Dem.) and Chris Whitley (Rep.) for Albemarle Council District 4
• Dexter A. Hinson and Larry Milano for Badin Town Council at-large
• Anne Kelley Harwood for Badin Town Council East District
• Deloris “Dee” Chambers for Badin Town Council West District
• Steve Huber for Locust mayor
• J.C. Burris, Roger Hypes and David Walker for Locust City Council
• Micah Edquist, Peter D. Edquist and Michael “Frizbee” Herron for Misenheimer Village Council
• Johnny W. Chestnut Jr. and Jane Hartley Van Sinderen for New London mayor
• Marcus L. Mullis and Christy Starnes for New London Town Council
• Beverly L. Johnson, James L. Lilly and Jerry R. Thomas for Norwood mayor
• Steve Bradley, Linda Campbell, David Diggs, Desi T. Shine and Henry “Buster” Thompson Sr. for Norwood Town Council
• Larry McMahon for his unexpired term on Norwood Town Council
• Bob Harvey and Allan McGuire for Oakboro mayor
• Ernest Lee Broadway, Mike Efird, Roy F. Helms and Georgia Osborne-Harvey for Oakboro Town Council
• Richard M. “Dicky” Hatley and Jerry A. Jordan for Red Cross Town Council
• Jim Misenheimer and Floyd S. Wilson for Richfield mayor
• Fisher, Huneycutt and Scottie Heglar for Richfield Town Council;
• Kevin N. Barbee and Rick Huggins for Stanfield mayor; and
• James Davis Griffin, Greg Lucas, Brian Webb and Rick Williams for Stanfield Town Council.
Voter registration for the General Election will continue until Oct. 11. One-Stop voting will begin Oct. 17 and continue until Nov. 2. Absentee ballots will begin to be mailed Oct. 6 and will need to be returned by Nov. 4.
To submit story ideas, contact Tiffany Thompson at (704) 982-2121 ext. 24 or email@example.com.