Thursday, February 27, 2014 — The U.S. Forest Service is conducting a controlled burn in the Uwharrie National Forest in Montgomery County. A westward wind has blown smoke from the fire across the eastern portion of Stanly County. The burn is part of the Forest Service's regular schedule and at this time is not reported to be out of control.
Patrons enjoy a Friday night of fish at Pat & Mick's Fish House. Stanly County's oldest remaining fish camp is set to serve its last meal Sunday.
Fish House landmark reels in last bite
If you’re a regular at Pat & Mick’s Fish House, chances are you already know. If it’s been a while since you’ve dined at the New London landmark, brace yourself for the news.
- Oakboro man pleads guilty to defrauding government
- Governor triples Burleson slaying reward
- Fish House landmark reels in last bite
- Local News
- Local Sports
Stanly All-Star 15 year-olds lose in championship finals
The Stanly County 15 year-old All-Stars Babe Ruth Baseball team battled its way through the losers’ bracket after suffering a 10-9 loss to the Union County Americans to reach the championship finals.
Stanly rallied to force a deciding third game but Union County prevailed to earn a trip to the regionals in Varina, Virginia.
- Stanly All-Stars reach state championship round
- Stanly All-Star 15 year-olds lose in championship finals
- Regional & National Sports
'Rebel' mascot rising from the dead
RICHMOND, Va. - Students and alumni from a Richmond, Va.-area high school are seeking to revive the school's historic mascot, a Confederate soldier known as the "Rebel Man," spurring debate about the appropriateness of public school connections to the Civil War and its icons.
- Better police needed for college teams enticed to cheat
- 'Rebel' mascot rising from the dead
- Opinion & Letters to the Editor
Friends and contentment
Last week I made my annual trip up the mountain to Sparta. My friends have a secluded home near a babbling brook. Their home and property are a haven for peace. It’s a two-plus hour ride to their home that doesn’t feel that long because I look so forward to my time with this great couple. When I arrive, the conversation seems to pick up right where we left it the last time we saw each other.
- Thanks for the honest deed
- Friends and contentment
- Weddings and Engagements
Megan McKenzie Lisk and Adam Yates Austin were married on April 12, 2014, at 6 p.m. at Il Bella Gardens in Albemarle. Pastor Darrell Smith officiated the ceremony.
- McCary Ann Smith and Ricardo Alberto Moncada plan to wed in New York
- Austin-Lisk Wedding
Aiken campaigns in Asheboro
Clay Aiken slipped into an Asheboro restaurant virtually unnoticed while campaigning in the city last Thursday.
- World traveler chooses Asheboro to pursue fine arts
- Aiken campaigns in Asheboro
- State & National News
Brother sues W.Va. senator over business loan
FAIRMONT, W. Va. - U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin's brother claims he's owed $1.7 million that he loaned to keep a family carpet out of bankruptcy in the 1980s.
- Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.-and all over the world
- Brother sues W.Va. senator over business loan