Friday, June 14, 2013 —
A microburst is to blame for the downed trees and lost power following Thursday’s storm that hit Stanly County, according to the National Weather Service.
Exact wind speeds from the storm are not known, though it is possible they were in excess of 70 mph, said Nick Petro, warning coordinator meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Raleigh.
“We’ve seen reports of wind speeds from across the state. In many areas they were between 60 and 70 mph. But the damage we saw in those areas were not as bad as what we’ve seen in Albemarle,” Petro said.
The storm blew numerous trees down throughout Albemarle and around the county, many of which fell on power lines. In the immediate hours following the storm, all of Albemarle had lost power.
“From between 5 and 10 last night, 100 percent of our customers were without power,” Ray Allen, city manager, said, adding that the city provides power service for approximately 10,000 people and businesses.
According to Duke Power, nearly 4,500 customers were still without power within the county.
Emergency personnel and electrical crews worked throughout the night, and a temporary shelter was opened at Albemarle High School for those who had been displaced following the storm.
Though no injuries are being reported as a result of the storm, lost power may be to blame for an accident that occurred at the intersection of N.C. 24-27 and U.S. 52. The SNAP is working to find out more information about this accident.
There are also reports of several park goers being stranded on Morrow Mountain as several trees were blown into the roadway blocking the exit from the state park.
See more about the storm in Sunday's SNAP.