A deadly explosion at a fertilizer plant in the town of West, Texas, on Wednesday night flattened buildings and injured dozens, and social media sites were flooded with pictures and video of the event.
- Local News
State youth choir shares message in scripture, song
They came, they sang, they shared a message.
- Red Cross, YMCA discuss emergency preparedness
- State youth choir shares message in scripture, song
- Local Sports
Stanly All-Stars reach state championship round
The Stanly 14 year-old All-Stars played in the state tournament this weekend at Noel Williams Park in Unionville and reached the championship round of play.
- Stanly County 13-year old Babe Ruth Baseball squad claims state title
- Stanly All-Stars reach state championship round
- Regional & National Sports
Kannapolis opens eight-game road trip with win at Hagerstown
Brandon Brennan shined against the Hagerstown Suns, pitching the Kannapolis Intimidators to a 6-2 win on Wednesday at Municipal Stadium. Kannapolis (47-52, 18-14 Second Half) won its third straight game to take the series opener over Hagerstown.
- Expectations too high for a rehabbing Woods
- Kannapolis opens eight-game road trip with win at Hagerstown
- Opinion & Letters to the Editor
Almost half of America's obese youth don't know they're obese
WASHINGTON - The good news is that after decades of furious growth, obesity rates finally seem to be leveling off in the U.S.. The bad news is that America's youth still appear to be dangerously unaware of the problem.
- Darth Vader is polling higher than all potential 2016 presidential candidates
- Almost half of America's obese youth don't know they're obese
- Weddings and Engagements
McCary Ann Smith and Ricardo Alberto Moncada plan to wed in New York
Larry ‘Bud’ and Teresa Smith of Oakboro announce the engagement of their daughter, McCary Ann Smith of Brooklyn, New York to Ricardo Alberto Moncada of Brooklyn, New York, son of Ricardo Moncada of Cincinnati, Ohio and Alba Lucia Moncada of McAllen, Texas.
- Jessica Smith and Joseph O. Earley were united in marriage on June 13, 2014
- McCary Ann Smith and Ricardo Alberto Moncada plan to wed in New York
Anyone know whodunit?
Forget Col. Mustard, the library and the candlestick, this time it was the drama student in the Jesse F. Niven Center with the bottle of poison.
At this year’s Uwharrie Players Drama Camp, campers took the stage not just to act, but to figure out who poisoned Gladdis, the talent scout.
- Kudzu Quiche A Bonus in Study of Invasive Species
- Anyone know whodunit?
Aiken campaigns in Asheboro
Clay Aiken slipped into an Asheboro restaurant virtually unnoticed while campaigning in the city last Thursday.
- World traveler chooses Asheboro to pursue fine arts
- Aiken campaigns in Asheboro
- State & National News
NCSU Study: Urban Heat Boosts Some Pest Populations 200-Fold, Killing Red Maples
New research from North Carolina State University shows that urban “heat islands” are slowly killing red maples in the southeastern United States. One factor is that researchers have found warmer temperatures increase the number of young produced by the gloomy scale insect – a significant tree pest – by 300 percent, which in turn leads to 200 times more adult gloomy scales on urban trees.
- An oncologist uses scorpion venom to locate cancer cells
- NCSU Study: Urban Heat Boosts Some Pest Populations 200-Fold, Killing Red Maples