Friday, January 25, 2013 — The Stanly News & Press office will close at approximately 1 p.m. Friday because of the weather conditions. The SNAP's Sunday edition will be published as usual. Weather-releated news or photographs may be sent to email@example.com
Patrons enjoy a Friday night of fish at Pat & Mick's Fish House. Stanly County's oldest remaining fish camp is set to serve its last meal Sunday.
Fish House landmark reels in last bite
If you’re a regular at Pat & Mick’s Fish House, chances are you already know. If it’s been a while since you’ve dined at the New London landmark, brace yourself for the news.
- Oakboro man pleads guilty to defrauding government
- Governor triples Burleson slaying reward
- Fish House landmark reels in last bite
- Local News
- Local Sports
Stanly All-Star 15 year-olds lose in championship finals
The Stanly County 15 year-old All-Stars Babe Ruth Baseball team battled its way through the losers’ bracket after suffering a 10-9 loss to the Union County Americans to reach the championship finals.
Stanly rallied to force a deciding third game but Union County prevailed to earn a trip to the regionals in Varina, Virginia.
- Stanly All-Stars reach state championship round
- Stanly All-Star 15 year-olds lose in championship finals
- Regional & National Sports
Better police needed for college teams enticed to cheat
The NCAA once cracked down on colleges that went too far luring top prospects, then it targeted teams that lathered players with special treatment. That was until the NCAA's get-tough approach backfired, rendering it ineffective and creating an opportunity for those who want to play dirty.
- Kannapolis opens eight-game road trip with win at Hagerstown
- Better police needed for college teams enticed to cheat
- Opinion & Letters to the Editor
Council asks veterans to seek office
The terms of office for the leaders of the Stanly County Veterans Council ended June 30. A call is being sent to veterans council members requesting candidates for the four elective offices of the council. A meeting has been set for 6:30 p.m. Aug. 12 at the DAV building. All council members are urged to attend.
- The gains and gaps in our economy
- Council asks veterans to seek office
- Weddings and Engagements
Megan McKenzie Lisk and Adam Yates Austin were married on April 12, 2014, at 6 p.m. at Il Bella Gardens in Albemarle. Pastor Darrell Smith officiated the ceremony.
- McCary Ann Smith and Ricardo Alberto Moncada plan to wed in New York
- Austin-Lisk Wedding
Aiken campaigns in Asheboro
Clay Aiken slipped into an Asheboro restaurant virtually unnoticed while campaigning in the city last Thursday.
- World traveler chooses Asheboro to pursue fine arts
- Aiken campaigns in Asheboro
- State & National News
Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.-and all over the world
We all know there are only two types of people in the world: cat people and dog people. But data from market research firm Euromonitor suggest that these differences extend beyond individual preferences and to the realm of geopolitics: it turns out there are cat countries and dog countries, too.
- WORLD NEWS: Fast food comes to standstill in China
- Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.-and all over the world