Hundreds gathered outside a Sanford, Fla., courthouse Saturday night after George Zimmerman was found not guilty in the death of Trayvon Martin.
Stanly County Board of Education to sell old Central school building to city of Albemarle
The Stanly County Board of Education voted to accept the city of Albemarle’s $150,000 bid for the Old Central School property, nixing an earlier offer by a local ministry.
- Stanly available fund balance reaches $14.6 million
- Albemarle teen hurt in U.S. 52 crash
- Stanly County Board of Education to sell old Central school building to city of Albemarle
- Local News
Changes come to annual Albemarle Downtown Christmas celebration
While there will not be “tales of Christmases long, long ago,” there will be the beginning of what could become a holiday tradition.
- Stanly County Board of Education fills vacant seat, names chairman
- Changes come to annual Albemarle Downtown Christmas celebration
- Opinion & Letters to the Editor
Liberals listening to Pope Francis - selectively
Pope Francis' recent critique of capitalism and America makes him a darling of the political left. But those embracing the pope's ideas surely don't want to hear his take on social issues including abortion, gay marriage or female clergy.
- Freedom is more likely to stimulate potential geniuses than gifted programs
- Liberals listening to Pope Francis - selectively
6 creative ways to use your Thanksgiving leftovers
The day of eating has passed and the fridge is full of leftovers. Check out our Pinterest board of recipes and creative ways to make meals from the remnants of Thanksgiving.
- Newlyweds-Mr. and Mrs. Riley Baker
- 6 creative ways to use your Thanksgiving leftovers
Happy 100th to the crossword puzzle
On a snowy evening in the early 1900s, a newspaper editor at the New York World was hunched over his desk trying to think of something special for the Christmas issue. He drew a diamond-shaped grid with numbered squares and numbered clues, creating the first crossword puzzle.
- How to care for a cut Christmas tree
- Happy 100th to the crossword puzzle
Special Hunting and Fishing Licensing Privileges for Military Personnel
RALEIGH — Military personnel hunting and fishing in North Carolina can enjoy special licensing privileges as long as they meet criteria set by the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission.
- Nationally broadcast NPR show “From the Top” to be taped live at Wingate University
- Special Hunting and Fishing Licensing Privileges for Military Personnel
- State & National News
Jennifer Kimball is a data coordinator at the Polaris Project and works with a texting service that trafficking victims can contact for help.
Human trafficking battled by text message
WASHINGTON - A few months ago, a worker monitoring a hotline for the Polaris Project, a nonprofit group dedicated to combating human trafficking, received a text message from an 18-year-old woman in distress.
- Painkillers may curb memory loss from medical marijuana
- Human trafficking battled by text message