Tuesday, April 15, 2014 —
A stove burner left on appears to be the cause of a Monday morning blaze.
Albemarle firefighters responded to the 11:26 a.m. fire at 623 Summit Ave. The blaze originated in the kitchen and spread through the attic, according to Fire Chief Shawn Oke.
Sardaria Tyson and her 5-year-old child were not home at the time of the fire.
She returned to find the house ablaze. She told Fire Marshal Brian Taylor that she had not been cooking before she left.
Taylor said further interviews revealed that someone visiting the house earlier may have lit a cigarette on a stove burner, failing to turn it off.
Taylor ruled the fire accidental.
American Red Cross is assisting Tyson and her child.
While fire damage was limited to the kitchen and attic, there was heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the house, Oke said.
Thirteen on-duty firefighters and five off-duty responded to the blaze, with South Side and Bethany volunteer fire departments standing by, Oke said.
“They (firefighters) had the fire under control real quick,” Oke said.
To submit story ideas, contact Ritchie Starnes at (704) 982-2121 ext. 28 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.