The Stanly News and Press (Albemarle, NC)

Homepage

August 20, 2013

Albemarle Fire Department contains VW Beetle fire

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 — A vintage Volkswagen beetle was damaged in a fire Monday afternoon in the parking lot of Lowe’s, 814 N.C. 24-27 Bypass, Albemarle.

Albemarle Fire crews were dispatched at approximately 1:12 p.m. Aug. 19 and arrived on the scene within four minutes.

“The interesting thing was this was a magnesium fire, and water doesn’t work to put it out. It just fuels it,” Albemarle Fire Chief Shawn Oke said, adding that firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze using foam.

The fire was contained to the engine compartment and back seat. No injuries were reported.

The vehicle sustained approximately $1,000 in damages. The fire was ruled to be due to mechanical failure, Oke said.

To submit story ideas, contact Tiffany Thompson at (704) 982-2121 ext. 24 or tiffany@stanlynewspress.com.

1
Text Only
Homepage
Local News
Sports
Opinion & Letters to the Editor
Lifestyles
  • Engaged Engaged

    Wanda and Mark Stegall of Stanfield announce the engagement of their daughter, Katie Ann Stegall of Stanfield, to Martin Delfino Benavides of Concord, son of Martin Benavides and Samantha Jacobs of Oakboro.

    April 14, 2014 1 Photo

  • Engaged
Features
Regional
State & National News
  • Smartphone kill switches are coming

    Smartphones need kill switches. It's a relatively easy solution to the pricey (and irritating) problem of smartphone theft. But who would have thought that the big carriers would team up with Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung and lots of other manufacturers to voluntarily begin adding the technology by July 2015? The cooperative spirit! It makes so much sense!

    April 20, 2014

  • Low blood-sugar levels make for grousing spouses
Photos


West Stanly softball home game with Butler on April 2, 2014

Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter