The Stanly News and Press (Albemarle, NC)

August 20, 2013

Albemarle Fire Department contains VW Beetle fire

By Tiffany Thompson, Staff Writer
CNHI

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 — A vintage Volkswagen beetle was damaged in a fire Monday afternoon in the parking lot of Lowe’s, 814 N.C. 24-27 Bypass, Albemarle.

Albemarle Fire crews were dispatched at approximately 1:12 p.m. Aug. 19 and arrived on the scene within four minutes.

“The interesting thing was this was a magnesium fire, and water doesn’t work to put it out. It just fuels it,” Albemarle Fire Chief Shawn Oke said, adding that firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze using foam.

The fire was contained to the engine compartment and back seat. No injuries were reported.

The vehicle sustained approximately $1,000 in damages. The fire was ruled to be due to mechanical failure, Oke said.



To submit story ideas, contact Tiffany Thompson at (704) 982-2121 ext. 24 or tiffany@stanlynewspress.com.