The Stanly News and Press (Albemarle, NC)

Homepage

December 12, 2013

Fire, water damage ministries' thrift store

Sprinklers avert catastrophe

Thursday, December 12, 2013 —

STANFIELD — Were it not for its fire alarm and sprinkler system, West Stanly Christian Ministries may have gone up in flames in the wee hours of Thursday morning. Instead, the crisis assistance organization is facing water and smoke damage in part of its building, but hopes to reopen its thrift store within days.

"Even though the sprinkler system did create damage, it's like we always say...'Everything dries out; nothing unburns,'" said Stanly County Fire Marshal Michael Roark.

"Without that sprinkler system, the fire department would still be there spraying water on the shell of the building. It would have burned down."

West Stanly Fire Chief Tripp Crosby agreed, citing the structure's age and wooden interior. He said his department received the call around 3:39 a.m. and personnel found smoke at the rear of the building when they arrived some five minutes later.

After forcing their way into the front door, they found the majority of the fire had been extinguished by two sprinkler heads that had been activated by the fire's heat.

Roark said the blaze, which started on the first floor in the general merchandise area near a display of mattresses and bedding, was caused by a malfunction with one of the building's electrically-powered heating units.

"Their heat source is a wood-burning furnace that heats water that is then piped to overhead hanging heating units," Roark explained. "The wood-fired water heater had nothing to do with the fire. It was due to an electrical malfunction of the overhead heater's fan motor."

While several hundred dollars worth of merchandise was burned, Roark said there was hardly any structural fire damage to the building, but that the majority of the damage was caused by water and smoke. He said water seeped through the floor and into the basement running into light fixtures and wiring and causing an additional hazard, which meant electricity had to be cut off to the entire building.

West Stanly Fire Department was assisted by Ridgecrest, Oakboro and Midland departments with some 25 personnel on the scene including fire investigators and building inspectors.

Robert Britt, managing director of West Stanly Christian Ministries, said the ministry will continue to try to respond to calls for assistance even as the damage is being assessed and a plan for repairs and reopening is being formulated. He asked for prayers and patience.

"We didn't anticipate our power being completely shut down, but we want to make sure everything is checked out and OK before going further," he said.

Britt said he will update the ministry's facebook page to let patrons know when the thrift store is ready to reopen.

1
Text Only
Homepage
Local News
Local Sports
Regional & National Sports
Opinion & Letters to the Editor
  • mama.jpg What we get wrong about millennials living at home

    If the media is to be believed, America is facing a major crisis. "Kids," some age 25, 26, or even 30 years old, are living out of their childhood bedrooms and basements at alarmingly high numbers. The hand-wringing overlooks one problem: It's all overblown.

    July 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • Maintaining hope
Weddings and Engagements
Features
  • Uwharrie Players No. 1 Anyone know whodunit?

    So whodunit?
    Forget Col. Mustard, the library and the candlestick, this time it was the drama student in the Jesse F. Niven Center with the bottle of poison.
    At this year’s Uwharrie Players Drama Camp, campers took the stage not just to act, but to figure out who poisoned Gladdis, the talent scout.

    July 21, 2014 3 Photos

  • Kudzu Quiche A Bonus in Study of Invasive Species
Regional
State & National News
Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter