Playing for the love of the game and those in need
Published 11:56 am Monday, June 4, 2018
Win or lose, 12 teams from across Stanly County will soon get their fair share of softball in while having a great time raising money for those less fortunate in the area.
The third annual Around the Clock Classic will take place at Rock Creek Park from 6 p.m. Friday through noon Saturday to benefit the John P. Murray Community Care Clinic and Albemarle Parks and Recreation.
Best explained as a softball marathon, the event involves 12 teams from around Stanly County playing slow-pitch games for 18 consecutive hours. Local businesses and churches will compete both on and off the field for a chance at the championship. Winning teams will be decided by most money raised and highest collective total of runs at the end of the tournament.
“I heard about the tournament through Dr. Lenny Saltzman, who has a big place in his heart for the Community Care Clinic. He knew I loved the game and asked me to consider getting a team together,” said Mike Crump, NC Department of Transportation’s team captain.
“Once he told me more about the John P. Murray Community Care Clinic, I jumped right in,” adds Crump. “We’ve been holding fundraisers for almost a year now at Sagebrush, Bojangles and PizzAntica.”
Although they’ve been working for months on fundraising for this tournament, he admits they have not spent that much time on the field.
“We really haven’t practiced since we’re a bunch of softball veterans and love playing the game,” he said. “We’re just going out there to have fun and help the community at the same time.”
Sponsors of the event include Lucky Clays Farm, Uwharrie Bank/Uwharrie Investment Advisors, Stanly County Imaging, Dr. Leonard Saltzman, Beane Swaringen & Company, Albemarle Pediatrics, My Lake Home Realty, Medical Pharmacy, Friendly Chevrolet, Preformed Line Products and BRS, Inc., Stokes Construction, Michelin, Levine Cancer Institute and Chambers Engineering.
Teams in this year’s Around the Clock Classic are: Atrium (CHS) Health – Stanly, NC Department of Transportation, Uwharrie Bank/Investment Advisors, Vac & Dash, Albemarle Parks & Recreation, Dr. Leonard Saltzman, Medical Pharmacy, Albemarle Pediatrics, Little Tokyo, First United Methodist Church of Norwood, First Presbyterian Church of Albemarle and West Albemarle Baptist Church.
The John P. Murray Community Care Clinic provides care to the uninsured of Stanly County. Through this resource, Community Care Clinic patients are able to treat chronic diseases and acquire much needed medications.
The City of Albemarle Parks and Recreation Department serves the community with programs and facilities to encourage fun, promote fellowship, improve wellness and foster educational experiences. A staple in the community since 1963, the Parks and Recreation Department provides affordable resources to the entire community.
The following games are scheduled:
• 6 p.m. — CHS Stanly vs. Vac & Dash;
• 7 p.m. — NC DOT vs. Uwharrie Bank;
• 8 p.m. — CHS Stanly vs. NC DOT
• 9 p.m. — Uwharrie Bank vs. Vac & Dash;
• 10 p.m. — CHS Stanly vs. Uwharrie Bank;
• 11 p.m. — NC DOT vs. Vac & Dash;
• Midnight — Albemarle Parks & Recreation vs. Albemarle Pediatrics;
• 1 a.m. — Dr. Saltzman’s Team vs. Medical Pharmacy;
• 2 a.m. — Dr. Saltzman’s Team vs. Albemarle Parks & Recreation;
• 3 a.m. — Medical Pharmacy vs. Albemarle Pediatrics;
• 4 a.m. — Albemarle Parks & Recreation vs. Medical Pharmacy;
• 5 a.m. — Dr. Saltzman’s Team vs. Albemarle Pediatrics;
• 6 a.m. — Little Tokyo vs. West Albemarle Baptist Church;
• 7 a.m. — First United Methodist Church of Norwood vs. First Presbyterian Church of Albemarle;
• 8 a.m. — Little Tokyo vs. First United Methodist Church of Norwood;
• 9 a.m. — First Presbyterian Church of Albemarle vs. West Albemarle Baptist Church;
• 10 a.m. — First United Methodist Church of Norwood vs. West Albemarle Baptist Church; and
• 11 a.m. — Little Tokyo vs. First Presbyterian Church of Albemarle.