Published 5:45 pm Wednesday, June 13, 2018
Veggie and Beef Stir-Fry
1/4 lb. beef tenderloin
2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped coarsely
1 small zucchini, chopped coarsely
3 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
half a small yellow squash, chopped coarsely
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1 cup water
1 tsp. low-sodium teriyaki sauce
1. Cut beef into 1/4-inch wide strips
2. In a good-sized skillet, stir-fry beef in 2 tsp. olive oil just until no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
3. Add onion and other vegetables. Stir-fry until tender-crisp, about 5-7 minutes.
4. To cook rice, place rice and water in a saucepan. Cover, and bring to a boil. Adjust heat so that mixture simmers, covered. Cook rice until tender, about 20-25 minutes.
5. Just before serving over rice, add teriyaki sauce to beef and vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.
Garden Veg Salsa
makes 6 cups
3 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped cucumber
1 medium sweet yellow or red pepper, chopped
3/4 cup chopped zucchini
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. white vinegar
3/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; toss to combine.
Refigerate, covered, until serving.
Serve with chips.
Note: wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Spiced-Up Sweet Potato Fries
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine potatoes and oil; toss to coat. Sprinkle with seasonings; toss to combine.
Arrange in a single layer on a greased 15-inch x 10-inch x 1-inch baking pan.
2. Bake uncovered at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, turning occasionally.
Ann Hudson lives on Cottonville Road. She loves cooking and sharing recipes with others. Have a question on one of her recipes? Call 704-474-3867.