Cook’s Corner (June 23-24, 2018)
1 cup cooked squash
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt or more if needed
1 medium onion, grated
1-2 cups cooking oil
1. Combine squash and egg. Add all other ingredients except oil and mix until well blended.
2. Heat oil for deep frying.
3. Drop batter by level tablespoons full into hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Makes 20-24 puffs
Summer Squash Casserole
6 cups sliced yellow summer squash
1/4 cup chopped onion
10 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded carrots
8 oz. pkg. herb-seasoned stuffing
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1. Cook summer squash and onion in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Combine chicken soup and sour cream. Stir in carrots. Fold in drained squash and onion.
3. In a separate bowl combine stuffing mix and margarine. Spread 1/2 stuffing mix in bottom of 8-inch x 12-inch baking dish. Spoon vegetable mixture on top. Sprinkle with remaining stuffing mix.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until heated.
Makes 6-8 servings
8 medium peeled potatoes
12 slices pasteurized cheese
Recipe may be doubled. Boil wieners for 3 minutes. Remove wieners from water; drain well, then slit almost in half, leaving bottom intact. Boil potatoes. Drain potatoes, then mash until soft. Spread mustard on each side of wiener. Press mashed potatoes into slit of wiener and top with slice of cheese. Bake at 350 degrees or until cheese melts. Serves 4.
Ann Hudson lives on Cottonville Road. She loves cooking and sharing recipes with others. Have a question on one of her recipes? Call 704-474-3867.