LOCUST NEWS: West Stanly center offers many activities
West Stanly Senior Center August
Volunteers are needed at the front desk Monday through Friday. Check with Judy at 704-781-5470 for times and info.
Are you needing a place for a meeting, birthday party or other occasion? Contact Judy for more information.
Board games, card games, cornhole toss and puzzles are available every day.
Mondays: Light exercise for seniors 10-11 a.m., Bag Lunch Bunch 12-1 p.m. (BYOL).
Tuesdays: Angie’s Chair Yoga 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ($3 per), Bag Lunch Bunch 12-1 p.m. (BYOL), Tai Chi Class 2-2:45 p.m..
Wednesdays: Light exercise for seniors 10-11 a.m., Bag Lunch Bunch 12-1 (BYOL), crafts, jewelry 1-3 p.m., Scrabble 3-5 p.m.
Thursdays: Angie’s Chair Yoga 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ($3 per), Bag Lunch Bunch 12-1 p.m. (BYOL), canasta 12-5 p.m.
Fridays: Light exercise for seniors 10-11 a.m., Bag Lunch 12-1 p.m. (BYOL), BINGO 6-9:30 p.m. – open to the community.
West Stanly Senior Center Special Events
• A group will go to the Old Courthouse Theatre to see “Terms of Endearment” at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Cost is $18
• Monday is the monthly quilt day from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Bring your sewing machine and a bag lunch. Help Project Linus make blankets for traumatized children.
• Wednesday will be Wine Down & Paint with Lori Burroughs at 2:30 p.m. Cost is $35. Lori has a Bachelor of Fine Art in Visual Arts from WVU and earned her credentials to teach art from UNCC.
Sign up for the class and go home with a completed landscape acrylic painting 16 x 20. All supplies will be provided.
• At 2 p.m. Aug. 13, there will be a seminar with Ronny Russell of Live Again Ministries talking about the history of Honduras and its people, specifically about Roatan Island where he has visited many times and provided its people with clean drinking water. He will be showing pictures taken during the July trip.
• BUNCO is played on the second Tuesday of every month at 6:30 p.m.
• The Kannapolis Intimidators baseball game versus Greensboro is at 7:05 p.m. Aug. 18. Cost is $7.50.
Meet at the Kannapolis Stadium at 6 p.m. There will be fireworks at the game.
• Lunch will be at noon Aug. 21 at the Harrisburg Family House Restaurant on N.C. Highway 49 South in Harrisburg. Sign up and meet at the restaurant at noon. Let them know you are with the seniors from WSSC.
The next Summer Concert will feature Lauren & Lane Aug. 18. They play a variety of music that is sure to be a hit. Concert is in the backyard of the Locust Government Building in City Center. They are from 6-9 p.m. and are free family friendly events.
Bring your chair or blanket and enjoy the night.
There has been a lot of interest in the history of Locust with people reminiscing about how the town looked and the small town atmosphere that used to be in Locust.
Anyone interested in learning about the history and how the town has changed and grown should visit the Locust Museum.
The museum is in the park building at The Jeff Shelton Park and is open on 2-4 p.m. Sundays.
Happy Birhtday to: Kristin Hartsell July 13, Junior Starnes, David Hartsell, Sylvia Downer and J.C. Burris July 24, JoAnn Sneed July 25, Lousie Hartsell July 27, Ben Thomas, Ted Yow, Pat Little and Judy Parnell July 29, Judy Medlin, Zack Ross and Delanie Little July 30, Charlie Higgins July 31, Kevin Pressley Aug. 1, Phillip Hatley Aug. 4, Scott Beatty Aug. 5, Kathy Eudy Aug. 6, Ray Barbee and Randy White Aug. 10, Jean Page and Joan Hatley Aug. 11.
Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 6365 Locust, meets the third Tuesday of each month, at 1011 Meadow Creek Church Road. They have a light meal and joint session with the Ladies Auxiliary at 6 p.m.
The veterans and ladies then have individual meetings starting at about 7 p.m. All veterans of foreign conflicts are invited to attend.
Call Bill Smith 704-773-0555 for more information.
The Locust Farmers Market will be open each Thursday from May through October from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The market is across from Locust Elementary School, on the corner of Vella Drive and East Main Street (N.C. Highway 24-27). Make it your weekly trip for locally grown vegetables, berries, jams and homemade goods.
Locust Town Center Merchants are excited to plan an evening farmers market for Thursday evenings this summer. They will be open from 5-7 p.m. in Town Center (grassy lot across from ACE Hardware).
Locust news is by Sarah White. Call 704-888-5359.