Candidate forum coming up Oct. 23
Published 9:10 am Tuesday, October 16, 2018
The Stanly County Chamber of Commerce will host the Stanly County Candidates’ Forum on Oct. 23 at Stanly Commons in Albemarle.
The event will be moderated by Chamber Legislative Committee Chairman Michael Riemann.
“As we have for decades, SCCoC will again host a fall Candidates Forum prior to the general election,” said Kathy Almond, president and CEO of the Stanly County Chamber of Commerce. “In an effort to carry out our mission as a catalyst for collaborative economic development, SCCoC provides the Candidates Forum as a platform to inform voters about the candidates, their qualifications, and their platforms.”
Doors will open around 5:30 p.m. Stanly Community College will provide videography for the event so individuals unable to attend can watch the forum online video SCC’s YouTube channel.
Time limits will be in place for candidate responses, and all candidates in contested electoral races — with exception to judicial races — have been invited to participate, Almond said.
The tentative schedule of the forum is as follows:
• 5:50 p.m. — City of Albemarle City Council (District 2) Democrat Benton Dry and Republican Shirley Lowder;
• 6:10 p.m. — City of Albemarle City Council (District 4) Democrat David Morgan and Republican Chris Whitley;
• 6:30 p.m. — Stanly County Sheriff — Democrat Sonny Hinson and Republican Jeff Crisco;
• 6:50 p.m. — U.S. House of Representatives (District 8) — Democrat Frank McNeil and Republican Richard Hudson;
• 7:10 p.m. — N.C. Senate (District 33) — Democrat Arin Wilhelm and Republican Carl Ford;
• 7:30 p.m. — N.C. House of Representatives (District 66) — Democrat Ken Goodman, Green Party Justin Miller and Republican Joey Davis;
• 8 p.m. — N.C. House of Representatives (District 67) — Democrat Karen Webster, Libertarian Michael Finn and Republican Wayne Sasser;
• 8:30 p.m. — Stanly County Board of Commissioners (District 4) — Democrat Mike Lambert and Republican Zachary Almond;
• 8:50 p.m. — Stanly County Board of Commissioners (At-Large) — Democrat Elaine Coats and Republican Lane Furr;
• 9:10 p.m. — Stanly County Board of Education (At-Large) — Democrat Joanne Hesley and Republican Anthony Graves.
Individuals can submit suggested questions for the candidates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates will receive be given topics upon which questions will be served, but they will not receive the actual questions in advance.
Have a story idea? Contact B.J. Drye at 704-982-2123, email@example.com or follow bjdrye1 on Twitter.