Food on stove leads to house fire

Published 12:11 pm Monday, December 3, 2018

Unattended cooking caused a house fire in the city of Albemarle.

Firefighters responded to Saturday’s 6:52 p.m. blaze at 2223 Woodhurst Lane. Two people were home at the time, with both successfully getting out of the burning house unhurt by the time firefighters arrived on the scene six minutes after dispatched, according to Shawn Oke, Albemarle fire chief.

Upon arrival firefighters found smoke billowing from the house with the fire originating from the stove in the kitchen, which quickly spread to the attic.

“She was cooking and left the room,” Oke said.

“Residents are reminded to be sure when cooking that they do not leave the items unattended, even for a short period of time,” he added.

Firefighters rescued three dogs from the house.

Red Cross assisted the family as the house is not inhabitable due to the damages. Estimates show the house sustained about $30,000 in damages, with another $10,000 valued in destroyed contents. There was heavy smoke damage throughout the house, Oke said.

East Side Volunteer Fire Department, Albemarle police, Stanly County Emergency Medical Services and the city’s utilities department assisted in the response. Bethany and Endy volunteers provided coverage for the city during the fire.

Residents are also reminded to have working smoke alarms throughout their house. Albemarle residents may contact the fire department at 704-984-9475 for assistance if a smoke alarm is needed in their residence.