Infant rescued from locked car
The Albemarle Fire Department responded at 11:35 a.m. Thursday to a reported infant locked in a vehicle on Fox Run Drive.
The infant was locked in the vehicle for about five minutes before the responding unit was on the scene, said Tony Russell, battalion chief for the Albemarle Fire Department.
The lock-out kit was quickly used to unlock the car and the infant, about 6 months old, was safely removed and sustained no injuries, Russell said.
After the rescue, the mother informed the fire department she had accidentally locked the infant in the car.
It’s crucial to remember to never leave a child unattended, said Russell. When the outside temperature is 90 degrees, the inside temperature can quickly become deadly.
Temperatures inside the car can quickly rise to 110 degrees in 10 minutes and 120 degrees in 20 minutes, said Russell.
Russell said for parents to remember to take their keys with them every time they get out of the car.
Also have a backup plan, Russell said. Have spare keys in your purse or wallet, hide another set of keys somewhere in the car and if your car has an electronic door code, know it.
Finally, never hesitate to call 911 should anyone ever accidentally lock a child in a car or see a child unattended.
West Stanly High senior Gretchen Castelloe prefers textbooks over Chromebooks because “you know the information there is accurate and sound... read more