N.C. Labor Commissioner congratulates Stanly workers
Published 5:01 pm Monday, June 17, 2019
The City of Albemarle and several businesses received awards during the annual N.C. Department of Labor Safety Awards Banquet Monday.
The highest honor went to Auria Solutions, which received the Million-Hour Award for working 1 million hours from Jan. 31, 2017 through Dec. 31. 2018.
In order to recognize those who put extra effort into keeping their workplaces safe, the DOL gave awards in two categories — silver and gold. The former was given to work sites where employees were out sick or injured 50 percent less than the average business in their industry. The latter was given to workplaces that not only did that, but also kept their job transfer rates 50 percent below the industry average.
In Stanly County, there were six Silver Award recipients and 26 Gold Award recipients. Some have earned that distinction for as many as 15 years in a row.
Cherie Berry, the N.C. Commissioner of Labor and first female commissioner, was the keynote speaker and presented each of the awards.
“You have to earn the right to be here today,” Berry told the crowd. “You worked hard for an entire year to earn that right to be here today by keeping everyone safe and healthy.”
“When one worker dies in North Carolina, it affects us all,” she added, “because that’s one of our brothers and sisters.”
The most important reason safety in the workplace is needed, Berry said, “is for the people we left at home that want us to come home.”
The following businesses and government entities were recognized and presented with awards.
- City of Albemarle (1 year)
- Stanley Engineered Fastening (1 year)
- Atrium Health Stanly (2 years)
- City of Albemarle – Parks and Recreation Department (2 years)
- Stanly Manor (2 years)
- City of Albemarle – Police Department (3 years)
- Auria Solutions (1 year)
- City of Albemarle – Administration, Development Services and Housing (1 year)
- City of Albemarle – Fire Department (1 year)
- City of Albemarle – Public Works (1 year)
- Cube Hydro Carolinas, LLC, Yadkin (1 year)
- Michelin Aircraft Tire Company, Area OB-2 (2 years)
- Michelin Aircraft Tire Company, Retread Department US11 (1 year)
- N.C. Department of Transportation, Resident Engineer’s Office (1 year)
- Oakboro Tractor Group (1 year)
- UFP – New London, LLC #315, Southern Division East Central Region (1 year)
- Atrium Health, Specialty Medical Group, Stanly (2 years)
- JT Russell & Sons, Inc., Clear Creek Asphalt Plant (2 years)
- United Protective Technologies (2 years)
- JT Russell & Sons, Inc., Riley Quarry (3 years)
- JT Russell & Sons, Inc., Troy, N.C. Highway 24-27 Bypass Jobsite (3 years)
- Stanly Women’s Services (3 years)
- JT Russell & Sons, Inc., Clay Pits Divison (4 years)
- JT Russell & Sons, Inc., Healing Springs Terminal (4 years)
- JT Russell & Sons, Inc., Lexington Asphalt Plant (4 years)
- JT Russell & Sons, Inc., New London Asphalt Plant (4 years)
- CK Earnhardt & Son, Inc. (5 years)
- Cap Yarns, LLC, Oakboro Plant (5 years)
- Storm Technologies, Inc. (5 years)
- H.W. Cup Lumber Company (9 years)
- N.C. Department of Transportation, Tenth Highway Division Office (12 years)
- NC Works Career Center, Montgomery Workforce Office (15 years)
Auria Solutions won the award for working 1 million hours from Jan. 31, 2017 through Dec. 31, 2018.