Friends of Palmerville Cemetery completes organization
The Stanly-Montgomery Baptist Association has announced the completion of the organization of Friends of Palmerville Cemetery, a nonprofit entity to manage and preserve the historic Palmerville cemetery.
Friends received its charter last year and has tax exempt status by the Internal Revenue Service under Section 501c3.
The historic cemetery was established in approximately 1889 after the church was founded in 1884.
Open to the public during daytime hours, it adjoins the now closed Palmerville Baptist Church.
The cemetery is the final resting place of many Stanly County families who figured prominently in the development of Yadkin River Valley and the nearby communities of Badin, Old Whitney and New London.
Friends will manage the cemetery, supervise its upkeep and maintenance, promote the availability of plots, oversee plot designations and burials and promote its historical preservation.
The cemetery overlooks Badin Lake, Badin, Palmer Mountain and the community of Palmerville.
Friends is governed by a five-member board appointed by the Stanly-Montgomery Baptist Association.
Board members are Elizabeth Eddins Laughridge, Adele M. Kirk, Curt Dorsey, R. Lane Brown III and Dr. Hal Bilbo.