Dog dies in house fire

Published 4:21 pm Tuesday, September 3, 2019

A 3-year-old black Labrador died in a house fire that started sometime before noon Tuesday on North Second Street.

Homeowner Audrey Dorsett and her niece, Lisa Johnson, were at the Stanly Community Christian Ministry, 506 S. First St., Albemarle, when they received word of the fire.

Once they got home, firefighters told them Dorsett’s dog, Daisy, who was housed in a kennel in her room, had not survived.

“That’s the hardest part — is losing her,” Dorsett said.
Dorsett, who has no children, said Daisy, who was picked up on the side of the road about three years ago, was like her child.

“I fell in love with her,” she said. “She was perfect.”

Details on the cause of the fire were not available at the time of publication.

Contact reporter Chris Miller at 704-982-2122.

About Chris Miller

Chris Miller has been with the SNAP since January 2019. He is a graduate of NC State and received his Master's in Journalism from the University of Maryland. He previously wrote for the Capital News Service in Annapolis, where many of his stories on immigration and culture were published in national papers via the AP wire.

email author More by Chris