North Stanly volleyball may have to forfeit victories
North Stanly’s strong start to the 2019 season may not count officially.
According to Stanly County School Superintendent Dr. Jeff James, the Comets are officially appealing a decision by the North Carolina High School Athletic Association to force the Comets to forfeit some of the team’s wins so far this season.
James said it was his understanding an appeal was submitted to an NCHSAA commission which hears those appeals.
“I think we are somewhere in that process,” James said of the appeal.
SCS athletic director Beverly Pennington confirmed North is in the appeal process but would not specify the number of wins which are in jeopardy of being forfeited.
Pennington said the issues stemmed from a new process for reporting transfer students between different local school agencies.
She confirmed North self-reported the issue to the NCHSAA, but Monday morning an appeal was filed by then-North Stanly principal Dr. Randy Mann.
While the appeal is under consideration, the Comets’ record remains intact and those player or players involved will be allowed to play.
“The issue has been corrected but was not caught before the beginning of the season,” Pennington said.
The Comets had won 17 games in a row to start the 2019 season before the streak ended Saturday at West Stanly.
Saturday’s volleyball rematch in Red Cross saw the West Stanly Colts host a North Stanly team which had won 17... read more