Upcoming Events beginning Feb. 27
Published 9:48 am Wednesday, February 26, 2020
• BBQ: Habitat for Humanity will have its barbecued chicken fundraiser from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Centerview Baptist Church, 508 Northeast Connector, Albemarle.
Tickets are $10 and available at www.stanlyhabitat.org/bbq or at the Habitat office, 1506 N.C. Highway 24-27 W., Albemarle.
Drive-thru, take-out, delivery and dine-in are available.
• Washington Celebration: The Colson’s Mill Chapter of the Society of Sons of the American Revolution will celebrate the birthday of founding father George Washington at 6:30 p.m. at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Fellowship Hall, 17236 Frog Pond Road, Oakboro.
Guest speaker will be Franklin Merrell, president, Salisbury chapter, NCSSAR, on the topic “Washington’s Spies.”
A buffet of Southern dishes will be offered.
Donations for the meal and the SAR’s efforts to preserve Revolutionary War history will be accepted.
• Movie: The Movie of the Month at the West Stanly Senior Center will be “Redwood Highway” at 1 p.m.
• Program: “Black Gold, Slavery and Reed Gold Mine” will be presented in Midland. Tours focus on the site and the mine that tell the stories of African-American miners at Reed Gold Mine in the region. 1 p.m. $2.14 for ages 8 and older.
• Town Creek Under the Stars: The program is 6-9 p.m. at Town Creek Indian Mound in Mt. Gilead. Follow the Drinking Gourd. Learn how the Little Dipper has been viewed by various cultures over time and of its role in the Underground Railroad. Pre-registration required. Free.
TUESDAYS THROUGH APRIL 14
• Tax Aide: AARP tax aide appointments will be available from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. each Tuesday and Thursday at the Stanly County Senior Center. Scheduling will be conducted through the tax aide appointment line at 704-986-3813.
• Ladies Lunch Bunch: The club will meet at 11:30 a.m. at Charley’s in Albemarle. RSVP by calling 704-986-3769.
• Singles Supper Club: The club will meet at 6 p.m. at Pizzantica in Albemarle.
RSVP by calling 704-986-3769.
• Mushroom Log Production: From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Stanly County Agri-Civic Center, learn about growing edible mushrooms on logs.
Participants will inoculate a log with either shiitake or oyster and take it home to enjoy.
Cost is $25 and registration is due by March 13.
• Trellising Your Grapevine: From 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Stanly County Agri-Civic Center, learn about Geneva Curtain trellis system for grapes. Participants will learn how to install the trellis and train their grapes.
Cost is $5 and registration is due by March 22.
• Walk It Out: From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Stanly County Agri-Civic Center, take a midday break for National Take A Walk in the Park Day. In this class, there will be a healthy yet simple lunch along with the walk. Along with adding more steps into the day, attendees will also leave with a reusable lunch container.