SPORTS CALENDAR: Feb. 28
Published 5:51 pm Friday, February 28, 2020
• Basketball Playoffs: Gray Stone at East Surry, 6 p.m.
• Walk It!: Start It Stanly! will host a weekly walking activity at the Locust Community Building.
Walkers can also exercise at stations along the walking route.
• Locust Youth Soccer: Registration is through March 1 for ages 3-15. Registration is online. Contact the Locust Parks and Rec. Department for more information.
• The 2020 Mini-Medley Relay: This 10-mile team relay race begins at 9 a.m. outside Central Elementary School and will feature students in elementary (grades 4-5) and middle school (grades 6-8).
Registration deadline is Feb. 17.
• Softball Leagues: AP&R will have men’s and co-ed softball leagues for ages 16 and up played under World Softball League rules.
Team registrations accepted March 2-27.
Team entry fee will be $375 and a $50 deposit is due at registration.
There is a 10-game regular season and a double-elimination postseason tournament.
• Sporting Clays Shoot: Pee Dee Electric will award two middle school students a scholarship to attend the Roy Williams Carolina Basketball Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill or the Wolfpack Women’s Basketball Camp at N.C. State University.
Applications will be accepted through March 31 at www.ncelectriccoop eratives.com/sports-camps.
• Locust Babe Ruth Baseball: Registration is March 1-April 1 for ages 13-15.
Registration is online. Contact the Locust Parks and Rec. Department for more information.
• Sporting Clays Shoot: The inaugural Sporting Clays Shoot for Childhood Cancer will be at Four Branches Sporting Preserve in Polkton to benefit The Max Life Foundation.
Max Lariviere was diagnosed in September 2018 with Stage IV High Risk Neuroblastoma.
The event will also honor Corey Morgan, a fellow cancer warrior who passed away in November 2018.
Shooters can compete as individuals or as four-person squads.
• Babe Ruth Baseball: This intermediate /advanced baseball program consists of teams throughout Stanly for youngsters who did not turn 16 before May 1, 2019.
Cost is $65 for city residents and $90 for non-residents.
Register at the Albemarle Parks and Recreation office March 2 through April 17. Those registering after April 10 will be charged an additional $10.
A birth certificate is required at registration.