SPORTS CALENDAR: March 10
Published 10:50 am Monday, March 9, 2020
• HS Tennis: West Stanly at Mount Pleasant, 4:30 p.m;
• HS Baseball: Central Academy at West Stanly, 7 p.m; South Stanly at North Rowan, 7 p.m.; Albemarle at Uwharrie Charter, 7 p.m.; Chatham Central at Gray Stone, 7 p.m.
• HS Softball: Albemarle at Uwharrie Charter, 5 p.m.; North Stanly at West Stanly, 6 p.m.; South Stanly at North Rowan, 6 p.m.; Chatham Central at Gray Stone, 6 p.m.
• HS Women’s Soccer: South Rowan at West Stanly, 6 p.m.
• HS Women’s Soccer: North Moore at Albemarle, 6 p.m.; Gray Stone at South Davidson, 6 p.m.; South Stanly at Uwharrie Charter, 6 p.m; North Rowan at North Stanly, 6 p.m.
• Walk It!: Start It Stanly! will host a weekly walking activity at the Locust Community Building.
Walkers can also exercise at stations along the walking route.
• The 2020 Mini-Medley Relay: This 10-mile team relay race begins at 9 a.m. outside Central Elementary School and will feature students in elementary (grades 4-5) and middle school (grades 6-8).
Registration deadline is Feb. 17.
• Big Bass “Palooza” Tournament: American Legion Post 520 will have a spring bass fishing tournament starting at first safe light until 3 p.m from the Alcoa boat landing in Badin. Entry fee is $110 including $10 for big bass. A big bass cash award will be doubled by the sponsor. First-Place winners earn $1,000, with $300 for second place, $200 for third place and $100 for fourth place. The cash prizes are guaranteed.
• Softball Leagues: AP&R will have men’s and co-ed softball leagues for ages 16 and up played under World Softball League rules.
Team registrations accepted March 2-27.
Team entry fee will be $375 and a $50 deposit is due at registration.
There is a 10-game regular season and a double-elimination postseason tournament.
• Sporting Clays Shoot: Pee Dee Electric will award two middle school students a scholarship to attend the Roy Williams Carolina Basketball Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill or the Wolfpack Women’s Basketball Camp at N.C. State University.
Applications will be accepted through March 31 at www.ncelectriccoop eratives.com/sports-camps.
• Locust Babe Ruth Baseball: Registration is March 1-April 1 for ages 13-15.
Registration is online. Contact the Locust Parks and Rec. Department for more information.
• Sporting Clays Shoot: The inaugural Sporting Clays Shoot for Childhood Cancer will be at Four Branches Sporting Preserve in Polkton to benefit The Max Life Foundation.
Max Lariviere was diagnosed in September 2018 with Stage IV High Risk Neuroblastoma.
The event will also honor Corey Morgan, a fellow cancer warrior who passed away in November 2018.
Shooters can compete as individuals or as four-person squads.
• Babe Ruth Baseball: This intermediate /advanced baseball program consists of teams throughout Stanly for youngsters who did not turn 16 before May 1, 2019.
Cost is $65 for city residents and $90 for non-residents.
Register at the Albemarle Parks and Recreation office March 2 through April 17. Those registering after April 10 will be charged an additional $10.
A birth certificate is required at registration.