SCC releases plans for fall semester reopening
Stanly Community College (SCC) plans to bring students back to campus this fall with new guidelines and safety measures put into place to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
“SCC’s goal in reopening for the fall semester is to prioritize the health and safety of the students, faculty and staff,” SCC President Dr. John Enamait said. “This means that our operational status will need to shift as we approach the fall semester.”
Plans for many of the fall classes will continue to be delivered online through the CANVAS Learning Management Platform, while other classes will be available on-campus and hybrid, with new guidelines put into effect.
“SCC has developed a Return-To-Campus guide that will assist employees and students returning to campus for the fall semester,” Enamait said. “These guidelines and recommendations will help protect students, faculty and staff from the virus transmission as they return to campus to work and study.”
The Return-to-Campus guidelines include:
• Plexiglass has been installed at various locations across campus. These plexiglass partitions will be located in areas that are more public facing than others, such as the Eagles-1 Stop area, Business Office counter, Library counter, and Reception desk at the Crutchfield Education Center. More plexiglass partitions will be installed as areas are identified.
• Masks, face shields, gloves, sanitizers and disinfectants are being provided to campus personnel.
• Certain doors on campus are identified as entry and exit only to assist with flow of foot traffic.
• Certain areas of campus will have limited capacity (i.e., Eagle’s 1-Stop, Library, Business Office).
• Signage has been posted around campus addressing the following:
•• Encouraging everyone to wear a mask.
•• Directional signs (entrance only, exit only).
•• Waiting and occupancy guides.
•• Signage in restrooms limiting occupancy to the number of stalls available.
•• Signage for limited occupancy for elevators.
• All social gatherings such as, but not limited to, Fall Festival, Holiday on the Hill, etc., will be canceled through the fall semester.
SCC will refer to the official CDC guidelines and the recently released SCC Return-To-Campus guidelines for references applicable to all areas as we weather through the COVID-19 storm.
“SCC is working hard to do its part to ensure the safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff. Each of us must also do our part,” Enamait wrote in an email addressed to SCC employees. “Wear a mask when moving about campus or dealing with someone less than six feet away. Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer and practice social distancing.”
Registration is open for the Fall Semester and classes begin on Aug. 17. For more information about the campus reopening and guidelines, visit the College’s website at
www.stanly.edu or call 704-991-0123.
Several residents spoke during Monday’s Albemarle City Council meeting about the need for speed bumps in the Amhurst and Kingville... read more