• 64°

PEEKING INTO THE PAST – River View Milling Company

According to local tradition, a mill has been located along the Rocky River, south of Norwood, for more than 250 years.

First a corn mill and later a burr mill for grinding whole wheat flour, the mills on the site, known as Lowder’s Mill, are believed to go back to at least 1763.

More recently, the roller mill known as the River View Milling Company, seen in today’s picture, was incorporated in 1913.

This mill was later damaged in a huge flood during 1945. At that time, the dam was washed away, and the mill was converted to electricity.

About 1950, the mill is known to have been producing approximately 5,000 barrels of flour, 750 tons of feed and 60,000 tons of meal that were all sold within a 30-mile area around the site.

The mill was an important part of the community and was a landmark in the area for many years.

It was destroyed in a fire in 1989.

{Lewis P. Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}