• 64°

PEEKING INTO THE PAST – St. Martin’s Lutheran Church

According to St. Martin’s Lutheran Church, Jacob Efird began hosting church services in his home in 1814.

On April 23, 1820, this group decided to form what is now known as St. Martin’s Lutheran Church.

In 1830, the congregation was finally able to build their first church building.

In 1860, a new frame building, seen in today’s photo, replaced the original structure. It was thought to be the largest church building in Stanly County at the time.

According to the church records, men would enter through the left door and sit on the left side of the church. Women and children would enter through the right door and sit to the right.

A new building was constructed in 1908-09. This building included timber cut from church property. Bricks, for the exterior, were made from clay dug from a nearby church member’s farm on Little Bear Creek.

The current church building was built in 1969-1970.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}