Labor Department presents annual safety awards
Published 11:09 am Thursday, October 29, 2020
The N.C. Department of Labor recognized area employers and employees at the agency’s virtual annual safety awards banquet Oct. 28.
“We didn’t want COVID-19 to prevent us from recognizing these employers in the Albemarle area and surrounding communities who are making a commitment to their employees’ safety and health,” Labor Commissioner Cherie Berry said. “Over the years, North Carolina has experienced a declining injury and illness rate, which remains at a historic low 2.4 per 100 full-time workers for private industry. These employers continue to make North Carolina workplaces some of the safest in the country and deserve this recognition.”
The awards honor outstanding on-the-job safety achievements of each recipient during 2019. Recipients recognized are in Stanly and surrounding counties.
Berry provided keynote remarks at the virtual meeting, which was her final safety awards presentation as labor commissioner. The event was co-sponsored by the Stanly County Chamber of Commerce.
The local recipients have met the requirements necessary to receive a safety award. Recipients include:
Criteria: Rate of days away from work must be at least 50 percent below the industry average.
• Preformed Line Products
Third Consecutive Year
• Atrium Health, Stanly
Criteria: Rate of days away from work, job transfer or restriction must be at least 50 percent below the industry average.
• Clayton Richfield, CMH
• DHHS Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services, Albemarle
• J.T. Russell & Sons Inc., Conover Asphalt Plant
• J.T. Russell & Sons Inc., Salisbury Aslphat Plant
• Michelin Aircraft Tire Co., Area OA
Second Consecutive Year
• Auria Solutions
• City of Albemarle, Administration, Development Services and Housing
• Cube Hydro Carolinas LLC, Yadkin
• N.C. Department of Transportation, Resident Engineer’s Office
Third Consecutive Year
• Atrium Specialty Medical Group, Stanly
• J.T. Russell & Sons Inc., Clear Creek Asphalt Plant
• United Protective Technologies
Fourth Consecutive Year
• J.T. Russell & Sons Inc., Riley Quarry
• Stanly Women’s Services
Fifth Consecutive Year
• J.T. Russell & Sons Inc., Healing Springs Terminal
Sixth Consecutive Year
• CK Earnhardt & Son Inc.
• Storm Technologies Inc.
Ninth Consecutive Year
• Stanley Engineered Fastening
10th Consecutive Year
H.W. Culp Lumber Co.
1 Million Hours, Or Multiples Thereof, With No Lost Time Accidents
• Stanley Engineered Fastening – Dec. 4, 2014 through Sept. 30, 2019
Under program rules, companies must have been free of fatal accidents at the site for which the award is given to be eligible. The gold award criteria are based on a DART rate that is at least 50 percent below the statewide rate
for its industry. The rate includes cases of days away from work, restricted activity or job transfer. The silver award is based only on cases with days away from work. They are recorded when the worker misses at least one full day of work, not including the day of the injury. The applicant must attain an incidence rate for cases with days away from work that is at least 50 percent below the rate for its industry.
More information on the Labor Department’s Safety Awards Program is available by calling 919-707-7855 or emailing Eursula Joyner at email@example.com.