Albemarle offers many Christmas events
Published 9:44 am Friday, November 13, 2020
Due to continuing restrictions on mass gatherings, Albemarle City Council supported the City of Albemarle Special Event Committee’s recent recommendation to not hold the Albemarle Christmas Parade and Downtown Christmas Open House that were tentatively scheduled for Nov. 28.
Instead, the City of Albemarle, with the support of Albemarle Downtown Development Corporation (ADDC), is moving forward with smaller-scale activities that are not dependent on COVID restrictions so that the community can still enjoy the holiday festivities.
• Letters to Santa: Kids can write letters to Santa and drop off at the Stanly County Library from Nov. 16 through Dec. 11.
• Holiday Pop Up Shop: The ADDC is again hosting this unique shopping experience at 113 S. 2nd St. (across from Off the Square). The shop will feature several vendors selling locally crafted items and will again offer free gift wrap for all downtown store purchases, shopping totes and other complimentary items. The shop will be open on Saturdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 14-Dec. 19.
• Shopping Bingo: This activity will kick off on Small Business Saturday (Nov. 28) and run through Dec. 19. Shoppers will visit participating stores and restaurants to get their game card stamped with a minimum $10 purchase per store. Once a row on the card is filled, the customer brings it to the ADDC Holiday Pop Up Shop, 112 S. 2nd St., to draw for a prize. The ADDC will offer a variety of gift cards from downtown businesses for customers to draw from.
• Downtown Store Display Contest: United Way of Stanly County will host an online contest for the community to vote for their favorite festively decorated store in downtown Albemarle. The contest will run from Nov. 28-Dec. 19 for voters to pick their favorite for a minimal fee. Proceeds will go to benefit the United Way of Stanly County and the programs they support throughout the county. The business with the most votes will receive a prize and a voter’s name
will be drawn to receive a gift card to a downtown store.
• Christmas Movies @ the ANT: On Fridays Dec. 4, 11 and 18 at 7:30 p.m., Albemarle Parks & Recreation will feature a family-friendly, socially distanced Christmas movie at the Albemarle Neighborhood Theatre. Before the start of each movie, Santa and Mrs. Claus will take the stage to greet kids, read them a Christmas story and take socially-distanced photos. Seating will be limited for COVID compliance, and masks will be mandatory.
• Holiday Sounds at the Square/Food Truck Saturdays: Enjoy the sounds of the season at Courthouse Square Park on Saturdays from Nov. 28-Dec. 19 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Food trucks will be nearby — and enjoy performances by the Nick Stow Duo, the Singing Americans and a Holiday Showcase featuring students from Music on Main.
• Downtown Cruise Ins: The second Saturday Cruise-Ins will take place on Nov. 14 and Dec. 12 from 4-7 p.m. in front of Tiffany’s at the Boardroom at 135 W. Main St. Bundle up and take a stroll down memory lane as local classic automobiles are on display.
• Holiday Tour of Homes: Hosted by Albemarle Downtown Development Corporation on Dec. 13 from 2-6 p.m., eight sites are on the tour this year, including the historic Snuggs and Marks homes, Hall House and Gardens and the newly remodeled YMCA Pavilion. Visit the Holiday Tour of Homes website for more info on the tour and ticket information. Tickets go on sale Nov. 14. Proceeds benefit the ADDC to assist with beautification projects, such as seasonal flower plantings and hanging baskets, as well as the repair of the antique clock at Courthouse Square.