• 46°

PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Morrow Brothers and Heath

Morrow Brothers and Heath was a large general merchandise store that was an important part of downtown Albemarle for about six decades.

The business opened on Jan. 1, 1897 in the large building on South Street seen in today’s first photo.

The original Morrow Brothers location was on South Street.

The business grew quickly and within a few years purchased the stock of the Wiscassett Mills and Efird Manufacturing company store known as “The Big Store.”

Morrow Brothers moved into its location at the corner of First Street and West Main Street, seen in today’s second photo, and opened on Jan. 1, 1903.

The second Morrow Brothers location was on the corner of First and West Main streets.

The business moved again in 1947 when they built a new building further down North First Street where Uwharrie Capital is today.

Morrow Brothers and Heath closed its retail operation in 1957 and continued in the real estate business for a number of years.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}