PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Cottonville Baptist Church

Published 8:05 am Sunday, January 10, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Cottonville Baptist Church was first formed in 1889 by 17 charter members who had come from several area Baptist churches. They first met at Log Cabin Schoolhouse before building their own building {see photo} about 1890.

The church grew to 129 members by 1905 and about 1908 they were able to build a new building. According to the Aug. 13, 1908 Stanly Enterprise this
new building cost between $1,500 and $2,000.

The church continued to grow and in 1949, five Sunday School rooms were added. During 1960, the church underwent a major remodeling when the building was covered with brick. The debt from this construction was paid in full by 1964. A steeple was added at this time as well.

A parsonage was built in 1973 and a new educational building was completed in 1983. The sanctuary was enlarged in 1985.

In 1995 the original parsonage was sold and the next year a new one was constructed.

— {Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}