Atrium Health Stanly ranked among nation’s best for providing maternity care, report says
Published 10:08 am Friday, February 19, 2021
Atrium Health Stanly has been ranked among the nation’s best hospitals when it comes to providing maternity care, according to a recent national report.
The Albemarle hospital was one of 20 in the state that was recognized by Newsweek and The Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit that reports on the safety and quality performance of U.S. health care facilities, in the organizations’ Best Maternity Hospitals 2021 report.
The list presents 217 entries in 36 states, categorized by region.
According to the report, “Best Maternity Care Hospitals are hospitals that meet Leapfrog’s tough standards for excellence in maternity care: hospitals that have low rates of C-section, episiotomy, and early elective deliveries, and follow important protocols to protect moms and babies.”
To be considered for the list, hospitals had to demonstrate that they met Leapfrog’s standards for all of the following measures:
- Early Elective Delivery: Leapfrog’s target for all hospitals is 5 percent or less.
- C-sections: Leapfrog’s target for all hospitals is 23.9 percent or less.
- Episiotomy: Leapfrog’s target for all hospitals is 5 percent or less.
- Newborn Bilirubin Screenings: Leapfrog’s target rate is 90 percent or greater, meaning that at least 90 percent of babies are screened for jaundice.
- Appropriate DVT Prophylaxis: Leapfrog’s target rate is 90 percent or greater, meaning that techniques to prevent blood clots are used for at least 90% of mothers delivering via C-section.
“The providers and staff of Atrium Health Stanly maternity unit are grateful to be recognized by Newsweek and Leapfrog Group’s list, ranking our facility, and many other Atrium Health facilities, among the nation’s best hospitals when it comes to providing maternity care,” said Dr. Thomas McDonald, MD, OB/GYN with Atrium Health Stanly Women’s Services.
“This honor reflects the hard work, dedication, and compassion by all of our staff to excellence in providing maternity care,” he continued. “Our patients should be comforted knowing they are receiving the best in care available, and we will continue our dedication to exceeding expectations for an extraordinary experience.”
There were four other local hospitals that made the list: Atrium Health Cabarrus in Concord, Atrium Health Cleveland in Shelby, Atrium Health Pineville in Charlotte and Atrium Health Union in Monroe.
Atrium Health Stanly was also rated as one of the safest hospitals in the state last year, also according to a Leapfrog report.
The hospital was given an A grade by The Leapfrog Group, a marked improvement from the C grade it received in the spring. The last time the hospital received an A grade was in the fall of 2017.