• 68°

PEEKING INTO THE PAST: Richfield Milling Company

According to the Nov. 4, 1910 Charlotte News, the Spring Mills Company, a flour and grist mill in Richfield, was chartered with capital stock of $25,000. Mike Pence, who had previously been running a roller mill in Millingport, was the primary owner. Unfortunately, the business went bankrupt in early 1918.

In June 1918, a new company, led by brothers J.R.C Morgan and S.R. Morgan, along with G.W. Miller, R.L.C. Miller, George Lefler and W.J. Fisher, was chartered. This business purchased the Spring Mills and renamed the business the Richfield Milling Company.

During the mid to late 1930s, the Fisher family purchased the business and continued operating it into the 1990s.

According to the Dec. 31, 2016 Stanly News & Press, the mill was next purchased by the Measimer family in 1995 and then in 2011 it was sold to Jimmy Faust of Culpfaust.

The Richfield Milling Company was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Sept. 19, 2016.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}