• 72°

PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Second Street Presbyterian Church

Today is a continuation from the last Peeking into the Past story …

In 1943 the church purchased land on South Second Street in Albemarle. A new building, constructed by local contractor J.D. Harwood, was built in 1946.

According to church history, “a remarkable feature of the building was that no architect was employed to draw its plans. E. G. McCullough of Albemarle submitted a sketch of the proposed building after consultation with the building committee, and this sketch was carried out almost in its entirety in the finished building.” {It is not clear if the sketch in today’s picture is the McCullough sketch.}

The new building was opened Sept. 22, 1946, exactly six years after the church members first met in 1940.

A manse was completed for church minister C.D. Whiteley and his family in May 1957.

About 1960 the church name was changed to Second Street Presbyterian Church.

An educational building, constructed by the Holbrook family of Albemarle, was built behind the church building in 1973.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}