• 70°

PEEKING INTO THE PAST – HOTEL ALBEMARLE BARBERSHOP

The Hotel Albemarle opened for business on Feb. 1, 1923.

One of the first businesses to locate on the Second Street side of the building was the Hotel Albemarle Barber Shop operated by J.E. Long.

In February 1924, Long sold his interest in the business to C.F. Lefler, while at the same time, Lefler sold his interest in the Ideal Barber Shop to Long.

Lefler managed the hotel barber shop for the next 32 years until he passed away in 1956.

The business was next in the hands of W. Crowell Mann, who had been one the other barbers in the Hotel Barber Shop business. According to phone directory records, the business continued until at least 1967 and was closed by 1973.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}