• 57°

PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Locust Volunteer Fire Department

According to the program celebrating the 100th anniversary of Locust in 1969, the first rural fire department in Stanly County was founded in Locust in the 1950s. The Locust Lions Club, led by Pete Burleson, were instrumental in starting this new department. The club raised $2,800 surpassing its $2,500 goal.

Ritchie Tucker was appointed the first fire chief. The rest of the men in the original group of firemen were Pete Burleson, Hugh J. Little, Carol Barbee, Brock Osborne, Reece Almond, Harold Furr, A. J. Furr, Wilbert Almond, Burton Barbee, Coy Barbee, Grady Tucker, Roy Huneycutt, Gene VonCannon, J. C. Tucker, Floyd Huneycutt, Pete Henkel, Glenn Almond, Boots Almond. Ray Burris, Red Huneycutt, John II. Harley, Val Barbee, David Osborne and Charlie Jenkins. (Today’s photo includes many, but not all of these men.)

A new building for the department was completed in early 1955 and their first truck was purchased from the fire department in Camden, South Carolina. The new fire department was officially incorporated on Jan. 27, 1956, as the Locust Volunteer Fire Department, Incorporated. {Lewis P. Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}