BADIN/PALESTINE NEWS: 10 Days of Uwharrie events near
Published 12:24 pm Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Town Council meets at 7 today in the Badin Conference Center. Visitors are welcome to attend.
Town Cleanup is postponed until April due to extra caution surrounding the transmission of Covid-19 and travel complications because of the closure of Valley Drive.
Sunday worship services at 11 a.m. are back indoors at the church, 36414 Palestine Road, Albemarle. The community is always welcome.
Everyone’s invited to the UMW Poor Man’s Supper Oct. 16 at the church. Carryout and drive-thru service will begin at 4 p.m.
Plates of pinto beans, cabbage, potatoes, onions, streaked meat, cornbread and dessert are $8. Donations of homemade pies and cakes are needed.
Love Thy Neighbor group meets Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall.
The Administrative Board meets in the sanctuary Oct. 21 at 7 p.m.
10 Days of Uwharrie
• Oct. 16 – Run the Valley begins at the Badin Post Office with the Half-Marathon start time of 7:30 a.m. The 8K starts at 7:45.
• Look for Badin’s Best Dam Car Show and activities along Badin Road from 4-7 p.m. Enjoy live music, vendors, beer garden and a pinup contest.
• Oct. 17 – Better Badin’s 3rd Annual Fish Fry offers drive-thru service from 12-5 p.m. on Badin Conference Center Drive, 29 Falls Road. Feast on fresh fried cod with fries, slaw, hushpuppies and a beverage for $10 a plate.
• Oct. 19 – Badin Library will host a craft experience for adults at 10:30 a.m. Come for fellowship and get creative by painting a wooden pumpkin. A $2 fee is requested for supplies.
• Oct. 22 – The 1913 Badin Inn presents Jazz and Wine Under the Stars from 7-10 p.m. with music by Jazz Revolution—a six-piece ensemble and vocalist with an eclectic blend of jazz and soul. Advance tickets are $35 and include food and drink. At the door price is $40. Discounted prices are available for tables of six and eight.
Call 704-422-1079 for reservations.
• Oct. 23 – The 3rd Annual Best Dam Run begins at 8 a.m. at Badin United Methodist Church, 18 Hickory St., and leads through a private woodland trail to the Narrows Dam.
Walk or run this 5K scenic trail for a rare close-up view of this century-old concrete masterpiece holding back the Yadkin River.
Registration deadline is Oct. 21. Call 704-983-3274 or register at runsignup.com.
A Fall Wonder Hike is planned for Oct. 23 from 10-11 a.m. beginning at the Morrow Mountain Scenic vista parking lot. A ranger will lead the way along the easy 0.8 mi. Mountain Loop Trail. Reserve a spot via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ranger-led Fall Foliage Canoe Trip is scheduled for Oct. 24 from 9-10:30 a.m. Meet at the boathouse.
Space and equipment is limited, and reservations are necessary. Call the park office or email: email@example.com.
Participants are encouraged to provide canoes, kayaks and U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices.
Badin News is by Jo Grey. Contact her at Jo.firstname.lastname@example.org at 704-995-2475.