Albemarle fire displaces family

Published 11:48 am Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Albemarle Fire Department was dispatched to a home on the 1100 block of Carolyn Drive around 11:46 p.m. Monday for a report of a structure fire.

The homeowner reported they had a fire in the fireplace when they heard a loud noise from above the ceiling. Smoke then began to fill the home. The family of four safely evacuated the home. Upon arrival at the scene firefighters noticed smoke pushing from the eves in the attic area. Firefighters also found a fire burning on both sides of the chimney. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported.

A preliminary investigation by the fire marshal revealed a failure in the chimney spread fire to the attic. The American Red Cross is assisting the home’s occupants who were displaced due to damage.

Albemarle Fire Department reminds everyone that it is crucial to have working smoke detectors. If you do not have working smoke detectors, the department can help get them installed. Call 704-984-9475 or visit