Sports Hall of Fame to induct Andrew, McLendon, Smith, Speight, Sturdivant
Published 5:18 pm Monday, March 13, 2023
The Stanly County Sports Hall of Fame has announced its 2023 inductees, who will be honored in the hall’s annual induction ceremony at 6:30 p.m. July 17 at Merner Gymnasium on the Pfeiffer University campus.
Keynote speaker for the evening will be Wes Durham, former co-host of the “Packer and Durham” sports talk show on the ACC Network and Sirius XM Radio. Previously, he had served as play-by-play announcer for the Atlanta Falcons and for Georgia Tech football and basketball. He now serves as a play-by-play announcer for Fox Sports and ACC Network coverage of college football and basketball.
He is the son of long-time UNC play-by-play announcer and Stanly County Sports Hall of Fame member Woody Durham.
This year’s inductees are:
• Al Andrew, who coached basketball, baseball and golf teams at Albemarle High School, including a state championship golf squad;
• T.A. McLendon, national record-setting running back at Albemarle High School and all-ACC performer at NC State University;
• Shanna Smith, star softball player at Albemarle High, all-ACC infielder at NC State, and current assistant coach at Eastern New Mexico State University;
• Greg Speight, who coached basketball and softball at North Stanly and South Stanly high schools, taking both softball programs to state championship appearances; and
• Quan Sturdivant, all-state football player at West Stanly, all-ACC linebacker, four-year starter at UNC-Chapel Hill, and 2011 draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals.
Information on Sports Hall of Fame tickets as well as more information on each inductee, will appear in future issues of The Stanly News & Press.