UPDATE: Superintendent releases statement on lockdown, threat
Published 7:51 pm Friday, April 28, 2023
Law enforcement, including the Stanly County’s Sheriff’s Office, have evacuated students and staff from South Stanly High School after Stanly County Schools received two phone calls regarding bomb threats Friday, according to Sheriff Jeff Crisco.
“We’ve been treating it as a worse case scenario,” he said, noting law enforcement was almost finished clearing the school. No bombs were found.
Students were taken to a designated location and parents had been notified to pick up their children.
“We’re in the process of getting parents to their kids now,” Crisco said.
The threats come after the Stanly County Sheriff’s Office posted on Facebook Tuesday that it had been investigating alleged threats that had been circulating throughout the school system.
“Subsequent to an extensive investigation, investigators determined that no threat was substantiated,” the post said, noting the investigation “will continue should any new information arise.”
Stanly County Schools Superintendent Dr. Jarrod Dennis released a statement late Friday afternoon about the incident.
“At approximately 1:40 PM on April 28, 2023, South Stanly High School received an unsubstantiated out-of-state phone threat. The school followed its safety procedures while the Stanly County Sheriff’s Department arrived to investigate the incident. During that time, the Sheriff’s Office briefly placed South Stanly Middle School on lockdown due to the proximity of the buildings.
“Out of an abundance of caution, and for the safety of everyone on the property, students and staff were escorted to a reunification site. Communication was sent directly to parents and guardians informing them of the activity and processes taken.
“We would like to thank the parents, students, and school staff for their cooperation and patience during this time.”