Don’t wait to donate: Blood, platelet donors needed now
Published 9:12 am Monday, May 22, 2023
The American Red Cross asks people to book a time to give blood or platelets now to address a recent drop in donation appointments that could lead to fewer transfusions for patients in the weeks ahead.
Type O blood donors are especially needed to ensure a strong blood supply.
The start of summer can shake up normal routines, but it’s important for donation appointments to stay on the calendar — especially as Memorial Day weekend approaches. More than 42 million Americans are expected to travel over the holiday, meaning fewer donors may be available to give.
Appointments are critical for people waiting for lifesaving care. Download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to schedule a time to give.
In thanks for making and keeping appointments, the Red Cross will help donors prepare for beach days and backyard fun as the season begins:
• All who come to give through May 31 will receive an exclusive Red Cross beach towel, while supplies last.
• Donors in May will also be automatically entered for a chance to win a trip for two to the 2023 MLB All-Star Game in Seattle, including two tickets to the 2023 MLB All-Star Game, round-trip airfare, four-night hotel accommodations, a $750 gift card and more.
• Those who come to give June 1-30 will receive a $10 gift card by email to a merchant of their choice. Plus, they’ll also be automatically entered for a chance to win a backyard theater package including a projector and screen, projector tripod, smokeless firepit, Adirondack chair set and a movie night snack package.
Donations in Stanly County include:
• 1:30 p.m. – 6 p.m., June 13, American Red Cross, 243 W. Main St., Albemarle; and
• 2:30-6:30 p.m. June 14, Farm Bureau, 1211 N.C. Highway 24-27 Bypass W., Albemarle.