PEEKING INTO THE PAST: Albemarle Fire Box

Published 12:39 pm Saturday, January 20, 2024

In August 1948, a bond issue was passed by the residents of the city of Albemarle. Included was money for the purchase and installation of more than 100 fire alarm boxes to be placed around the city. During the summer of 1949, the city received one bid for this project. The city purchased a new system in September and in the following months after the equipment was received, it was installed by city employees. The new fire alarm system, made up of 131 boxes, went into operation on March 7, 1950. According to the March 17, 1950 Stanly News & Press, the first use of the system had happened two days prior on the 15th. An alarm was triggered using box 214, located at the intersection of West Main Street and Concord Road. A fire had been discovered at the Firestone Home & Auto Supply service station. Once the alarm sounded, trucks from the main fire station and West Albemarle were dispatched and the fire was quickly brought under control. Thanks to Jason Palmer for sharing this photo of one of the alarm boxes. {Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}