PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Purcell Drug Store

Secrest-Sloan Drug Company first opened in March 1917 in the A.P. Harris building on West Main Street in Albemarle.

The business was purchased by W.H. Snuggs in early 1921 and the business name was changed to Snuggs Drug Company.

In October 1922 the business moved into a new building next door where Albemarle Printers is located today.

In August 1932, the Snuggs Drug Store was purchased by the Purcell Drug Store chain of Salisbury. The name of the business was changed to Purcell’s and this Albemarle location became the fourth in the chain.

In 1944, the building was purchased by Harry Harris, owner of the Chic Shop that was across the street.

During 1955, Purcell switched locations with the Chic Shop and moved to the building next door to Starnes.

In 1969, Purcell’s was sold to employees Harold Little and Jim Davis, who in 1981 changed the name to Davis-Little and moved to the old Belk Building on the other side of Starnes.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}