PEEKING INTO THE PAST: The John S. Efird Home

Located on West Main Street, the home of John and Bertha (Snuggs) Efird was built in 1911. The architect was Louis Asbury of Charlotte, and the contractor was local builder Locke Moody.

According to the June 15, 1911 Stanly Enterprise, “This house is to be brick veneered and trimmed with stone. The verandas will be laid in tile and all the inside finished in hardwood.”

Another description, included in the National Register of Historic Places documentation about the Albemarle Opera House, stated “The Colonial Revival style home was a very grand and handsomely finished two-story brick house dominated by a two-story portico. It was probably the finest house of its generation.”

John Efird, president of the Efird Manufacturing Company, lived in the home until his death in 1927 and his wife continued to live there until her death in 1949. The home was sold later that year to the state. It was used for offices of the State Highway Commission division in Albemarle. The home was demolished in 1968 to make room for a new office building.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}